Thursday 20 February 2014

What does Juliet say that shows the depth of her feelings for Romeo?

I think this quote works quite well to show how deeply in love and attracted Juliet is to Romeo.  


Give me my Romeo, and when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
O, I have bought the mansion of a love
But not possessed it, and, though I am sold,
Not yet enjoyed.



What Juliet is saying is that Romeo is so awesome and perfect that if he were a star or a bunch of stars, people would worship him and his beauty instead of the sun.  Compared to Romeo, the star that gives the planet Earth its ability to sustain life is ugly and "garish."  Perhaps you could argue that the quote doesn't expressly show love.  You could argue that it is more descriptive of her physical attraction to Romeo, but I would argue that is a large part of being in love.  


Here is a different quote.  



O, bid me leap, rather than marry Paris,
From off the battlements of yonder tower,
Or walk in thievish ways, or bid me lurk
Where serpents are. Chain me with roaring bears;
Or shut me nightly in a charnel house,
O'ercovered quite with dead men's rattling bones,
With reeky shanks and yellow chapless skulls.
Or bid me go into a new-made grave
And hide me with a dead man in his shroud
(Things that, to hear them told, have made me 
   tremble),
And I will do it without fear or doubt,
To live an unstained wife to my sweet love.



I think this one even more clearly illustrates Juliet's deep feelings for Romeo.  This time she argues that all of the things that she once thought super scary are now ridiculously silly compared to the fear of having to marry somebody other than Romeo.  In this case, that person is Paris, the man that her father is forcing her to marry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there any personification in "The Tell-Tale Heart"?

Personification is a literary device in which the author attributes human characteristics and features to inanimate objects, ideas, or anima...