Wednesday 9 July 2014

What are 3 adjectives that describe Cassius as he is portrayed in Act I?

Cassius is a complicated character, beginning the play as a fairly unsavory character, and then proving to be more human, if you will, as the story goes on. In Act I, though, we don't have a lot of his good qualities apparent just yet. He seems to be self-serving and very determined to plot against Caesar.


Scheming: Cassius spends a lot of time in Act I trying to persuade Brutus to participate and to see...

Cassius is a complicated character, beginning the play as a fairly unsavory character, and then proving to be more human, if you will, as the story goes on. In Act I, though, we don't have a lot of his good qualities apparent just yet. He seems to be self-serving and very determined to plot against Caesar.


Scheming: Cassius spends a lot of time in Act I trying to persuade Brutus to participate and to see Caesar as the potential tyrant that he is painting him to be.


Ambitious: In Act I, Scene II Cassius invites Brutus to dinner at his house and during their conversation it is pretty obvious that he is only concerned with his own welfare. 



"Well, Brutus, thou art noble; yet I see Thy honorable mettle may be wrought From that it is disposed. Therefore it is meet That noble minds keep ever with their likes; For who so firm that cannot be seduced? Caesar doth bear me hard, but he loves Brutus. If I were Brutus now, and he were Cassius, He should not humor me" (Act I Scene II).



Insightful: He appears to understand men fairly well and what they want or need. He also understands their character. In Act I, Scene II we see this as he talks to Brutus and tells him what he believes his character to be: "I know that virtue to be in you, Brutus."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there any personification in "The Tell-Tale Heart"?

Personification is a literary device in which the author attributes human characteristics and features to inanimate objects, ideas, or anima...