Wednesday 22 July 2015

In what way does Lorraine wish that her mother was more like the Pigman?

Lorraine and her mother don't have a good relationship because her mother is verbally condescending and cheap. Her mother has suffered a lot in her adult life because Lorraine's father cheated on her and divorced her. After that, her mother was never the same. In fact, her mother takes out all of her bitterness and doubt on her daughter rather than providing a safe and loving home. As a result, Lorraine is drawn into the...

Lorraine and her mother don't have a good relationship because her mother is verbally condescending and cheap. Her mother has suffered a lot in her adult life because Lorraine's father cheated on her and divorced her. After that, her mother was never the same. In fact, her mother takes out all of her bitterness and doubt on her daughter rather than providing a safe and loving home. As a result, Lorraine is drawn into the genuinely loving character of Mr. Pignati. She learns a lot from a man who has suffered in life as well, but who still wears a smile on his face. He is always respectful of Lorraine and treats her like an equal, if not like a daughter. Lorraine is able to find peace in her life for knowing Mr. Pignati and explains her desires for her mother to be like him as follows:



"Lots of times I'd cry myself to sleep, but more and more I felt myself thinking of the Pigman whenever I felt sad. Sometimes just after I put the light out, I'd see his face smiling or his eyes gleaming as he offered me the snails--some little happy detail I thought I'd forgotten--and I'd wish my mother were more like him. I'd wish she knew how to have a little fun for a change" (86).



As the passage indicates above, Lorraine wishes that her mother could have a little fun once in awhile. Both she and Lorraine would benefit from having fun; but as it is, her mother has a difficult career, feels like she failed in her marriage, and it has all hardened her so much that it's as if she is incapable of loosening up enough to have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there any personification in "The Tell-Tale Heart"?

Personification is a literary device in which the author attributes human characteristics and features to inanimate objects, ideas, or anima...