Tuesday 10 January 2017

What type of reflex would happen if you were to touch something gooey or gross ?

The type of reflex response you are asking about is called a reflex action.  When we experience something that involves the senses, input sensations are channeled along the peripheral nervous system to the brain.  The brain, as part of the central nervous system, interprets the input information, and delivers an appropriate response.  If the stimulus we are experiencing is of a life threatening variety, the input "takes a shortcut" at the spinal cord and...

The type of reflex response you are asking about is called a reflex action.  When we experience something that involves the senses, input sensations are channeled along the peripheral nervous system to the brain.  The brain, as part of the central nervous system, interprets the input information, and delivers an appropriate response.  If the stimulus we are experiencing is of a life threatening variety, the input "takes a shortcut" at the spinal cord and delivers the response without the brain being a part of the process.  For example, when I was a young boy, I was walking through a wooded area next to my house.  I was barefoot with shorts on, because it was summer.  I was stepping over a fallen tree branch, and was about to put my foot down when I thought I saw a snake coiled and ready to strike!  I jumped with the one foot and leg that was on the ground and ran quickly away from the area.  I didn't have to think about it, I just did it.  That type of response, which is also applied to touching something gooey and gross, is called a reflex action.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there any personification in "The Tell-Tale Heart"?

Personification is a literary device in which the author attributes human characteristics and features to inanimate objects, ideas, or anima...