Wednesday 4 May 2016

How does aunt Alexandra remind Scout of Mount Everest?

Your question is asking about my favorite line of text in the entire book.  


Had I ever harbored the mystical notions about mountains that seem to obsess lawyers and judges, Aunt Alexandra would have been analogous to Mount Everest: throughout my early life, she was cold and there.


The line cracks me up every single time that I read it.  It is just so blunt.  On top of that, it is one of...

Your question is asking about my favorite line of text in the entire book.  



Had I ever harbored the mystical notions about mountains that seem to obsess lawyers and judges, Aunt Alexandra would have been analogous to Mount Everest: throughout my early life, she was cold and there.



The line cracks me up every single time that I read it.  It is just so blunt.  On top of that, it is one of the most completely unflattering lines of text written about a woman that I have ever read.  What woman wants to be compared to a mountain?  Scout does that with her Aunt Alexandra, but she doesn't choose just any old mountain.  She chooses the largest and most daunting mountain the world.  


I just finished reading John Krakauer's book Into Thin Air, and it retells his experience climbing Mt. Everest.  As terrifying as the mountain is, there is no doubt that the mountain itself is beautiful and awe inspiring.  But again, Scout doesn't relate Aunt Alexandra to the nice parts of Everest.  Scout simply says that she is "cold and there."  Like a giant lump of cold heartlessness.  


The reason Scout compares her Aunt to a giant, immobile mountain is because Aunt Alexandra is a strict household ruler.  Atticus has her come to Maycomb to help out with the house while he is working the Robinson case.  She comes, but she immediately brings her domineering and mountainous spirit to bear.  She tries to control what Scout does, says, and wears.  Aunt Alexandra is a giant mountain blocking Scout off from everything that she is used to doing.



Aunt Alexandra was fanatical on the subject of my attire. I could not possibly hope to be a lady if I wore breeches; when I said I could do nothing in a dress, she said I wasn't supposed to be doing things that required pants.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there any personification in "The Tell-Tale Heart"?

Personification is a literary device in which the author attributes human characteristics and features to inanimate objects, ideas, or anima...