Saturday 11 March 2017

In Into the Wild, what does Chris's mother not understand?

I believe that this question is asking about a specific section of the novel in which Billie McCandless admits not understanding something about her son.  It took me a little bit to find, but I believe that the question is asking about the following quote.  


“I just don’t understand why he had to take those kind of chances,” Billie protests through her tears. “I just don’t understand it at all.”


The quote can be...

I believe that this question is asking about a specific section of the novel in which Billie McCandless admits not understanding something about her son.  It took me a little bit to find, but I believe that the question is asking about the following quote.  



“I just don’t understand why he had to take those kind of chances,” Billie protests through her tears. “I just don’t understand it at all.”



The quote can be found at the very end of chapter 13.  McCandless's body had been discovered and brought home a month earlier.  Krakauer and Billie are sitting at her dining room table, and she is going through a picture record of McCandless's final days.  She admits to Krakauer that she doesn't understand why her son could take chances and live the way that he did.  I believe that she isn't only referring to his Alaskan adventure.  I believe that she doesn't understand what pulled McCandless to live life on the road in the first place.  McCandless lived month after month with only a bag of rice and $20 to his name, and Billie doesn't understand why her son would enjoy that kind of risk.  To Billie, McCandless's wandering was a needless and risky style of life, and she cannot relate to it at all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there any personification in "The Tell-Tale Heart"?

Personification is a literary device in which the author attributes human characteristics and features to inanimate objects, ideas, or anima...