Tuesday 31 March 2015

How can I analyze the meaning of John Proctor’s speech? How does it relate to the central conflict of The Crucible?

In Arthur Miller's play The Crucible, the protagonist, John Proctor, makes a speech at the end which reveals his hidden thoughts and also addresses the central conflict in the play. When he is asked to sign his name on the confession--one he gave that is not true and only to save his wife, Elizabeth--he becomes angry because he believes his word is enough. He says, "Because it is my name! Because I cannot have...

In Arthur Miller's play The Crucible, the protagonist, John Proctor, makes a speech at the end which reveals his hidden thoughts and also addresses the central conflict in the play. When he is asked to sign his name on the confession--one he gave that is not true and only to save his wife, Elizabeth--he becomes angry because he believes his word is enough. He says, "Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet of them you have hanged! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name!" Proctor is concerned about his integrity and reputation because that is all he has. A central theme in the play is the loss or preservation of one's integrity. Abigail and the girls call into question the reputation of upstanding citizens by claiming they are in congress with the devil, and these people have no ability to stand up for themselves. Maintaining one's integrity and reputation in the face of slanderous accusations is difficult, especially during those hysterical times, and Proctor's speech illuminates how important it is to maintain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there any personification in "The Tell-Tale Heart"?

Personification is a literary device in which the author attributes human characteristics and features to inanimate objects, ideas, or anima...