Sunday 2 October 2016

I need help finding quotes for the theme of isolation in the book Frankenstein, but the 2nd edition, not the 1818 edition.

Isolation is a profound and dominant theme in the book Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. In her second publication of Frankenstein in 1831, there are numerous quotes about isolation for both Victor and the creature. For example:


Victor discusses his time in solitude making the creature.


“In a solitary chamber, or rather cell, at the top of the house, and separated from all the other apartments by a gallery and staircase, I kept my workshop of...

Isolation is a profound and dominant theme in the book Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. In her second publication of Frankenstein in 1831, there are numerous quotes about isolation for both Victor and the creature. For example:


Victor discusses his time in solitude making the creature.



“In a solitary chamber, or rather cell, at the top of the house, and separated from all the other apartments by a gallery and staircase, I kept my workshop of filthy creation.”



Furthermore, Victor reveals that he had been neglecting communicating with his loved ones.



"And the same feelings which made me neglect the scenes around me caused me also to forget those friends who were so many miles absent, and whom I had not seen for so long a time."



Not only did Victor feel isolated, but the creature echoed these feelings as well.



“If such lovely creatures were miserable, it was less strange that I, an imperfect and solitary being, should be wretched.”



The creature also illustrated this point while talking with De Lacey.



"I am an unfortunate and deserted creature, I look around and I have no relation or friend upon earth. These amiable people to whom I go have never seen me and know little of me. I am full of fears, for if I fail there, I am an outcast in the world forever."



These are a few example of the many quotes about isolation found in the 1831 edition of Frankenstein. Although there are numerous others, these illustrate the profound isolation that both characters felt and continued to feel throughout the novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there any personification in "The Tell-Tale Heart"?

Personification is a literary device in which the author attributes human characteristics and features to inanimate objects, ideas, or anima...