Friday 16 January 2015

What is a simile that describes Calpurnia from To Kill A Mockingbird?

I’m not sure if you are asking for an original simile that describes Calpurnia or how Scout describes her in the book.  So, I’ll help you out with both!  In the novel, Scout describes Calpurnia as,


“She was all angles and bones; she was nearsighted; she squinted; her hand was wide as a bed slat and twice as hard.  She was always ordering me out of the kitchen, asking me why I couldn’t behave as...

I’m not sure if you are asking for an original simile that describes Calpurnia or how Scout describes her in the book.  So, I’ll help you out with both!  In the novel, Scout describes Calpurnia as,


“She was all angles and bones; she was nearsighted; she squinted; her hand was wide as a bed slat and twice as hard.  She was always ordering me out of the kitchen, asking me why I couldn’t behave as well as Jem when she knew he was older, and calling me home when I wasn’t ready to come.  Our battles were epic and one-sided.  Calpurnia always won, mainly because Atticus always took her side.  She had been with us ever since Jem was born, and I had felt her tyrannical presence as long as I could remember.”


In this quote, the main simile is, “her hand was wide as a bed slat and twice as hard.”  It is a simile because Harper Lee is comparing two different things—a hand to a bed slat—and that comparison uses the word, “as”.  Similes use “like” and “as” to show a comparison between two things that are not alike.


So as I think about other possible similes for Calpurnia, I’m going to use other descriptions from the quote to help me out. 


For example,


Calpurnia is as tyrannical as a Russian czar.


Calpurnia is like an army sergeant ordering new recruits.


Calpurnia is as bossy as a mother hen.


Calpurnia is like an Olympic gold medal winner whenever she fights with Scout.


Calpurnia is like a cardboard Halloween skeleton, all angles and bones.


I hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is there any personification in "The Tell-Tale Heart"?

Personification is a literary device in which the author attributes human characteristics and features to inanimate objects, ideas, or anima...